Yes,I did finish the outfit I told you 必威官网betwayabout in my very first post titledWelcome to The Feed Dog.I wore it with the TSE black silk skirt that I re-designed in Project MyWay #1 and my beautiful cashmere knit coat from Project MyWay #3 and my cute booties that I got on sale at Macy's (marked way down in February).We went to the city for dinner and then to a jazz club and I looked very ou current!!
This beatiful silk satin burnout fabric was in my stash,next time I'll try it in a solid color so the details won't get lost in the print.
I started with Simplicity 4277 and made some simple changes:
Here is a picture of the Nanette Lepore blouse I wanted to copy:
And here is another Nanette Lepore blouse that shows the details better:
I wanted the cross over bodice with pleating and the sash under the bust,but the sleeves are too"girly"for me,so I wanted a simple cap sleeve.
Simplicity 4277 was a good place to start,it has the basic design of the Nanette blouse and the changes were easy to make.
For the pleats on the bodice,I slashed and spread the front pattern piece to add more ease to the front and I extended the front past center to create the cross over:
I figured out the pleating by folding the new front pattern piece and matching it up to the top of the waistband until it fit. After cutting out the fabric,I pleated each front piece,then lined them and basted the 2 fronts together at the center front.
For the sash,I used a pattern piece from a dress I made a couple of years ago:
I used the hip sash from View C and cut it to fit when I was constructing the waistband.I made the sash for the front only–from side seam to side seam.I didn't want to deal with it in the back as it would have ended at the center back and made the zipper application very difficult.
Speaking of zippers,I used a looooong invisible zipper and as I had mentioned,I tried the application I learned in the tutorial on必威app手机下载版Sew?I knit!–
It still had a bubble at the bottom,but it was better than the zipper on my black silk skirt.I'll keep trying…
The cap sleeve offered in this pattern is gathered at the cap.I didn't want the gathering,so I used the set-in sleeve of view A and re-drew it into a cap sleeve.
I then tried something new I saw on a Banana Republic dress,I put a piece of elastic at the center of the hem of the sleeve,必威官网betwayabout 2″ on either side of the center,for a total of 4″,to pull it in a little.
I love cap sleeves because they are great for summer dresses and blouses,but give a little more coverage than sleeveless tops.But cap sleeves look awful when they point straight out like wings.I find the best looking cap sleeves have plenty of ease in the cap (without being gathered) and this Banana Republic method of inserting elastic at the sleeve hem makes the sleeve nice and fitted.I always self line cap sleeves,it looks so much nicer than narrow hemming the sleeve.
Ta-ta for now!!